St. Anthony's Railroad Chapel Car

Title

St. Anthony's Railroad Chapel Car

Subject

Catholicism
Kansas
Wichita, KS

Description

Photograph postcard of St. Anthony Railroad Car Chapel, donated by Ambrose Petry and Richmond Dean, who was a Pullman Company vice-president. The car, originally built by Pullman in 1886, was refitted by Dean at the Pullman factory as a chapel car with a living area for its priests. The 72 foot long car was dedicated and blessed in 1907. It served in Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and also in the West and Pacific Northwest. By 1909, it made its way to Oregon, where it was credited with creating more than 80 Catholic parishes. The car was taken from railroad service in 1919, when railroads no longer would handle wooden passenger cars

Rights

Rights for materials created by the Catholic Church Extension Society weredonated to the public domain in 1967.

Files

St._Anthony_chapel_car_exterior.jpg

Citation

“St. Anthony's Railroad Chapel Car,” Religion in Kansas Project, accessed April 14, 2024, https://ksreligion.omeka.net/items/show/4614.